What do you think is causing some of the problems in the bank’s home office and branches?
- There is not any communication between branch supervisors, home offices, and other branches. The supervisor employ their own employee without any communication with the main branch. The major problem is high employee turnover, actually there can be many reason for turnover, however in the text this is a result of when an employee would be hired, they would be resign another employee. In additionally, Ruth Johnson has been working in a home office for two months, howeever she does not know what the machine called she used and what it did. That means, there is not any HR to asist her about that machine.
Do you think setting up an HR unit in the main office would help?
- Setting up an HR unit in the main office would help the managers. Through the HR unit the bank can employ the educated bankers and reduce turnover ratios. I mean, because of HR unit will work for supervisors’ and line managers’ needs, the employee which apply the job probably educated by HR unit about the which machine or computer software does he/ she have to. As a result of HR unit, turnovers decrase and efficiency increases in the bank.
What specific functions should an HR unit carry out? What HR functions would then be carried out by supervisors and other line managers? What role should the Internet play in the new HR organization?
- A Line Function: The human resource manager directs the activities of the people in his or her own department and perhaps in related areas.
- A Coordinative Function: The human resource manager also coordinates personnel activities, a duty often referred to as functional authority. Here, he or she ensures that line managers are implementing the firm’s human resouce policies and practices.
- Staff (asist and advise) Function: Assisting and advising line managers is the heart of the human resource manager’s job. He or she advises the CEO so CEO can better understand the personnel aspects of the company’s strategic options. HR assist in hiring, training, evaluating, rewarding, counseling, promoting and firing employees. It helps line managers comply with equal employment and occupational safety laws and plays an important role in handling grievances and labor relations. It carries out an innovator role, by providing up-to-date information on current trends and new methods for better utilizing the company’s employees. It also plays an employee advocacy role, by representing the interests of employees within the framework of its primary obligation to senior management.
- The new technology helps companies in various areas such as communication, advertising, marketing and competiton. HRM also uses the technology to reach canditates and communicate with them. HRM can use Internet to create and use an up-to-date employee database, measure the employee’ abilities, contact with them, train them and monitor them.